If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 60 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
|Child Survival and Development Specialist, P-3, Jayapura, Indonesia|
|Vacancy No: E-VN-2014-002630
Duty Station: Jayapura
|Job Level: P-3
Application Close: 13-Nov-14
Contract Type: Long-term Staff (FT)
Purpose of the Position
As Child Survival and Development Specialist (CSD), the incumbent is accountable for quality technical expertise for formulation, design, planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of scaling-up cost-effective and replicable Child Survival and Development intervention packages to enhance coverage and quality of maternal, newborn and child health, nutrition, water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) and Preventing mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) intervention packages, through support of strengthening health systems, social and behaviour change and making services more accountable to users by reinforcing community-based quality assurance systems. S/he will provide support and supervision to CSD team at Jayapura namely: Health Officer (Malaria & EPI NOB) Nutrition Officer (NOB), WASH Specialist (NOC), PMTCT Officer (NOB) and Programme Assistant (GS6).
Key Expected Results
- Timely, regular data-driven analysis for effective prioritization, planning, development and results-based management for scaling-up specific Child Survival & Development interventions under UNICEF programme of collaboration in Tanah Papua.
Technical expertise on specific Child Survival & Development (maternal, newborn and child health, nutrition, WASH and PMTCT) interventions.
Technical and operational guidance provided to key government and non-government partners on scaling-up and replication of best practices .
Monitoring, evaluation and reporting on specific Health& Nutrition interventions carried out through various field visits, in a timely manner, efficiently, rigorously and transparently in compliance with the established guidelines and procedures.
Government and non-government recipients accountable for UNICEF specific supply, non-supply and financial assistance.
Effective knowledge management through documentation and dissemination of lessons learned and implementation of appropriate capacity building activities.
Integration of rights-based approaches and humanitarian principles in related Child Survival & Development interventions.
Effective communication, networking and leveraging achieved through partnership and collaboration with related government and non-government partners.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Medicine, Health Research, International Health, Health Policy and Management, Environmental Health Sciences, Family Health, , Biostatistics, Socio-medical Sciences, Epidemiology, Health Education, Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Educational Interventions in Health Care, Nursing or a field relevant to international development assistance in Health.
Five years of relevant work experience and awareness of the technical support required in health related emergency and humanitarian preparedness.
Experience working in the UN or other international development organization, and field work experience an asset.
Background/familiarity with Emergency.
Fluency in English and another UN language. Knowledge of the local working language (Bahasa Indonesia) of the duty station would be an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
- Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
- Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
- Analyzes and integrates diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources.
- Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments.
- Identifies urgent and potentially difficult decisions and acts on them promptly; initiates and generates team- and department-wide activities.
- Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.